About the Library
The UCSF Library is one of the preeminent health sciences libraries in the world, containing an expansive collection of the world’s health sciences knowledge base. At its core, the Library facilitates connection to information and people by delivering a diverse range of human-centered services to the UCSF community and public visitors. Through its digital and physical spaces, the Library cultivates experiences that nurture progressive learning, meaningful engagement, and open creativity. As a vital campus resource, we are dedicated to supporting the UCSF mission of advancing health worldwide.
Our Commitment to Diversity
We commit to building a diverse and inclusive Library as a means of promoting health equity and counteracting historic and current systems of oppression. This commitment also applies to materials related to archives and special collections.
The UCSF Library connects people to stimulate inclusive learning, advance scientific inquiry, and enable open access to historical and current health sciences information resources.
- Searching and Managing the Literature: Get expert guidance on discovering resources and services that help you find and manage the information you need. We offer consultations and workshops to assist with your education, research, and clinical care needs.
- Data Science: Faculty, staff, and trainees in the UCSF community can get support with computational and data skills. We offer consultations and workshops on data science.
- The Makers Lab at UCSF: Explore and learn through interdisciplinary collaboration and hands-on discovery, from 3D printing to textile crafting and more.
- Scholarly Communication: Get guidance on maximizing the reach and impact of your work and understanding your rights to use and share your work on scholarly communication platforms.
- Archives and Special Collections: Get access to rare and unique materials to support research and teaching in the history of the health sciences, UCSF history, and health humanities. We offer in-person and remote reference, reproductions, and research services.
- Multimedia Hardware and Software: Faculty, staff, and students in the UCSF community can get guidance and access to equipment, software, and spaces for DIY multimedia content production.
- Industry Documents Library: Use this rich and growing collection to aid investigation about cross-industry corporate practices that are detrimental to public health. The Industry Documents Library includes millions of documents created by the tobacco, drug, chemical, food, and fossil fuels industries.
- Library Tech Commons: Students, faculty, and staff can engage with technology and explore new teaching and learning opportunities in this dedicated space.
- Library Events and Classes: Sign up for free workshops and special events on a range of topics led by UCSF Library staff and invited presenters.
- Digital and Print Collections: Get access to a wide range of health sciences books, journals, databases, and multimedia to support all research and learning efforts at UCSF. Our partnership with the California Digital Library expands our access to include cross-disciplinary resources.
- Study and Collaborative Spaces: Use our individual and group study rooms, enclosed faculty carrels, and other spaces for study and collaboration.
- Social and Event Spaces: Relax in our living room area complete with a café. Enjoy events in our multipurpose spaces, such as the Lange Room with breathtaking views of the bay and surrounding areas. Visit our library locations at Parnassus Heights, Mission Bay, or the Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital campus.